While riding a motorcycle can be fun and exciting, not taking the proper safety measures can be devastating. According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motorcycling is 29 times riskier than driving a car.
Wearing appropriate motorcycle safety gear is one of the best safety measures to increase your confidence on the road and reduce your chances of sustaining serious injury in a motorcycle accident:
- Helmet: Helmets are designed to provide protection against head injury, cold, windblast, and flying objects. And while the benefits of wearing a helmet should be the only selling point of making sure it's part of your riding gear, it's also a legal requirement in California. Of course, full-face helmets are best, but if you're only able to get a half helmet, it's better than nothing.
- Motorcycle Jacket: Motorcycle riding jackets are designed to protect your upper body. They safeguard your shoulders, chest, back, and elbows, depending on the jacket type. A well-designed, classy riding jacket will not only keep you warm but can also make you look cool and provide a sense of style. Riding jackets are often created from leather and synthetic materials. These safety pieces are available in many types, including all-weather jackets, body armor, and conventional riding jackets. The kind of jacket you choose depends upon your location, needs, and preferences. We suggest you choose light colors to enhance your visibility.
- Motorcycle Boots: Motorcycle riding boots are designed for foot and ankle protection purposes. They consist of a metal tip to safeguard the rider's toe and provide a secure grip on footpegs. These boots are also made from different materials and come in different types, including racing boots, motor-cross boots, and boots for long rides. Get riding boots that suit the purpose of your ride and ensure they are the correct size.
- Motorcycle Pants: Riding pants are part of the riding gear that many riders choose to ignore. The vast majority assume that wearing any long pants like jeans can serve the purpose. But contrary to what most believe, motorcycle pants are designed specifically for motorcycling. They feature a second layer to allow them to get over existing regular pants. Light colors are recommended to increase your visibility.
- Riding Gloves: Motorcycle riding gloves offer extra protection to your hands, knuckles, and fingers. They are designed with padding for enhanced comfort and protection against vibrations that can result in pain or numbness.
Contact a San Diego Motorcycle Accident Attorney
It's always best to wear the proper safety gear and do what you can to increase your visibility on the road. This can help reduce your risk of a motorcycle crash in San Diego. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a motorcycle accident, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Contact us online or call us at 619-389-2794 to schedule a free consultation with Anthony Laureti, the lead San Diego Motorcycle Accident Attorney at Laureti & Associates.