What Are Your Options if You’re Injured By a Drunk Driver in California

January 25, 2023

Being hit by a drunk driver can have catastrophic effects on your life and the life of your passengers. Even if you aren’t injured in the accident, property damage and other emotional damages can majorly affect your life going forward. 

If you’ve been hit by a drunk driver in California, it’s important that you see experienced legal counsel that can help you get the compensation you deserve. The attorneys at Laureti & Associates are ready to help you or your loved ones seek appropriate compensation for any damages incurred during an accident

What to Do After an Accident 

If a suspected drunk driver has hit you, you should do the following: 

  • Call 911: If possible, call 911 immediately to report the accent. Law enforcement must be present as soon as possible to ensure that details of the scene are recorded accurately. 
  • Obtain a copy of the police report: Once the police have filled out their report, ask for a copy, as this is something that you’ll potentially want to show your insurance company or attorney. 
  • Seek medical attention: Always seek medical attention after an accident, even if you don’t think you’ve been injured. Internal injuries can be hard to notice but can cause serious damage if left untreated. 
  • Contact an attorney: Contact an attorney to ensure that you receive maximum compensation for any economic or non-economic damages sustained in the accident. An attorney can also help you file an insurance claim against the driver who caused the accident. 

What Are Your Options After Being Injured by a Drunk Driver? 

After you’ve been involved in an accident involving a drunk driver, it can be hard to know what your legal options are. 

  • File a lawsuit: If you’ve been injured by a drunk driver, you’ll want to file a claim with the driver’s insurance company. However, if the compensation the insurance company is offering doesn’t adequately cover the damages, you’ll need the help of an attorney to file a lawsuit against the driver. Any compensation you receive can cover the economic or non-economic damages you might have incurred during the accident. 
  • File a lawsuit on behalf of a family member: If you’ve lost a loved one due to the negligence of a drunk driver, you might be able to receive compensation. With the help of an attorney, you can file a lawsuit against the driver and recover compensation for survivor action and wrongful death. 

Contact Laureti & Associates Today 

At Laureti & Associates, we’re ready to take on your case and ensure you get the compensation you deserve after being hit by a drunk driver. Our attorneys are skilled, compassionate, and dedicated to serving you and your family. 

To contact us, visit our website or call us at (619) 389-2794 to schedule a free consultation.

View all Posts

We are here to help.

Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.

If you have questions, need the advice of a trusted counselor, or simply do not know where to turn, our team is here to help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.

If you are unable to visit us in our office downtown during the week, we are more than happy to meet you at your home or in our office over the weekend. Hablamos espanol.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form